Release date?

Forums: Release date?
Discussion forum for OctaneRender Cloud

Re: Release date?

Postby prehabitat » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:34 pm

prehabitat Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:34 pm
Ease up guys, they're people too.... never stretched a deadline?

Forcing adherence to a deadline only compromises the result. As noted before; we shouldn't be planning production work based on something we haven't actually received or tested...
Win10/3770/16gb/K600(display)/GTX780(Octane)/GTX590/372.70
Octane 3.x: GH Lands VARQ Rhino5 -Rhino.io- C4D R16 / Revit17
prehabitat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Goldorak Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:15 pm
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:
prehabitat wrote:If ORC is coming to v2.x does that mean the v2 stream will get save/resume as an ordinary function? Or will it be limited to save to Orc/resume from Orc?

To me it's pretty clear that that's no longer the case.
I doubt v2 will get any update, as they are fully focusing on releasing v3.

This is correct. ORC has been running the latest the stable version of V3 since alpha 1 was released last month. after we saw no major issues with V3 rendering earlier scenes from V2. There is no V2 build on the service anymore, nor should there be given the cost savings we (and you) all want from pause/resume and other important improvements.

The direct integration of ORC->Octane SE+plug-ins (i.e beyond dropping in an ORBX file to the ORC website) is going to keep evolving with the V3 features on both cloud and client. V2 is feature frozen at this point and trying to backport V3 ORC features and UI is not a good use of our resources.

To clear up some confusion, we had a 2.X build for limited testing purposes to make sure ORC integration worked correctly in the months before V3 alpha made it an official feature. If V3 was unstable or delayed, 2.25 might have been a fallback solution, but that is no longer necessary.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby prehabitat » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:04 pm

prehabitat Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:04 pm
All sounds good to me; provided you don't move to SAAS only or subscription only model*

*If you do at least (please) offer perpetual options to your long standing beta customers. Prob tiny compared to your target market size & income stream...
prehabitat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby renderingz » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:33 pm

renderingz Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:33 pm
prehabitat wrote:Ease up guys, they're people too.... never stretched a deadline?

Forcing adherence to a deadline only compromises the result. As noted before; we shouldn't be planning production work based on something we haven't actually received or tested...

Dunno where you got the impression that anyone here was asking unreasonable questions. Still haven't received a straight answer to any questions asked, not exactly too demanding is it?

I think we all appreciate that the dev team are clearly the ones having to deal with the undeliverable featureset/timeframe promised for v3 by the marketing department, but it's still frustrating.

I feel like everyone is brimming with gratitude that we even get to test v3 at Alpha as if doing QA for a for profit company is a gift :lol: :lol:
Win `10/ Cinema 4D R17 / 2 x 780 GTX 6GB + 2 x 980ti
renderingz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby prehabitat » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:49 pm

prehabitat Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:49 pm
renderingz wrote:Dunno where you got the impression that anyone here was asking unreasonable questions. Still haven't received a straight answer to any questions asked, not exactly too demanding is it?

I was mainly referring to the smoke and mirrors bit - your question was reasonable and I was surprised by Goldorak's inference that ORC will never see 2.x for current 2.x licenced customers - seems like it makes sense to sell the (ORC) service to anyone & everyone...

Goldorak, can you confirm that the V2 OctaneRender SE cannot directly connect to the ORC service (which now runs V3 Alpha 2)?

Seems like, the more I think about it, that the cloud works far more low level that just a remote package dump farm. ie. your V2 cant talk low level to the V3 cloud due to some language/structure barrier... if that's the case it might mean that you could get live scene feedback from the cloud from within V3...

Also seems relevant if the answer to the above is 'No it cannot' ; can an ORBX exported from 2.x be rendered on ORC V3 Alpha 2 + ?

renderingz wrote:I feel like everyone is brimming with gratitude that we even get to test v3 at Alpha as if doing QA for a for profit company is a gift :lol: :lol:

Access to an open V3 alpha wasn't advertised part of the product purchase when I bought my 2.x upgrade... so it kinda seems like that for me

Plus if you use V3 you expose yourself to bugs. I'm not using it for production work personally, just tried a few new things on a single occasion then haven't touched it since... (sorry Otoy, I'm not much use to you... too busy :)
You can always use it for free (since they offered) and choose not to tell them about bugs you find - if you feel that strongly about giving your time away :)
prehabitat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby renderingz » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:55 pm

renderingz Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:55 pm
prehabitat wrote:
renderingz wrote:Dunno where you got the impression that anyone here was asking unreasonable questions. Still haven't received a straight answer to any questions asked, not exactly too demanding is it?

I was mainly referring to the smoke and mirrors bit - your question was reasonable and I was surprised by Goldorak's inference that ORC will never see 2.x for current 2.x licenced customers - seems like it makes sense to sell the (ORC) service to anyone & everyone...

Goldorak, can you confirm that the V2 OctaneRender SE cannot directly connect to the ORC service (which now runs V3 Alpha 2)?
Also seems relevant if the answer to the above is 'No it cannot' ; can an ORBX exported from 2.x be rendered on ORC V3 Alpha 2 + ?

renderingz wrote:I feel like everyone is brimming with gratitude that we even get to test v3 at Alpha as if doing QA for a for profit company is a gift :lol: :lol:

Access to an open V3 alpha wasn't advertised part of the product purchase when I bought my 2.x upgrade... so it kinda seems like that for me

Plus if you use V3 you expose yourself to bugs. I'm not using it for production work personally, just tried a few new things on a single occasion then haven't touched it since... (sorry Otoy, I'm not much use to you... too busy :)
You can always use it for free (since they offered) and choose not to tell them about bugs you find - if you feel that strongly about giving your time away :)

The fact that you feel like it's a gift to test this software because it wasn't part of your product purchase basically proves my point.

Open Alpha of V3 and testing by this community is massively benefical to OTOY, this pre-release alpha/beta early access stuff that is so common in the game dev industry and that seems mutually beneficial actually feels more like a bit of a marketing ploy, it's free QA and you get sustained hype and conversation for your product. I was talking about a culture of gratitude that seems to be maintained by breadcrumming customers with bitty releases and empty promises. Next everyone will be flailing with joy when v3 gets released a year late with half the promised features. Sorry - but I think as consumers we should be more demanding, OTOY aren't your buddies!
renderingz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby prehabitat » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:07 am

prehabitat Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:07 am
renderingz wrote:Open Alpha of V3 and testing by this community is massively benefical to OTOY - but you've basically proved my point. I was talking about a culture of gratitude that seems to be maintained by breadcrumming customers with bitty releases. Next everyone will be flailing with joy when v3 gets released a year late with half the promised features. Sorry - but I think as consumers we should be more demanding, OTOY aren't your buddies!

I think when* Otoy move to a subscription/SAAS model your response will be valid. furthermore you could talk with your feet and walk at any time (since that's how subscription models work).

As I said, I see V3 as a gift, but its a gift just sitting in the corner gathering dust, since I purchased a perpetual licence of 2.x for the features it added from 1.x which has been making me money since I bought it. would I make more money with V3? perhaps, perhaps not.. probably not at this stage; and I cant/wont risk abortive work finding a bug on production work.

Agreed 100% that Otoy benefits - would you have signed up for a closed alpha? (paid or otherwise)?

*while I prefer perpetual licencing, I don't kid myself that full SAAS/Sub model isn't on the radar for every software company these days... although I question the validity of is as an approach if we have a global crash (again) and subs drop by 50% overnight... perhaps the accountants just figure "we'll all be f$%ked if that happens so who cares, make hay while the sun is shining"
prehabitat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:10 am

Goldorak Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:10 am

I can confirm this as well as your reasoning below. Deep integration in V3 is already more than an ORBX upload. it's closer to 'offline' network rendering from the app vs. the old ORC 2.x model of uploading a package to a webpage. We have a lot of work on the to do list to complete all we want to, but the delta syncing in V3 is already in place since alpha 1.

Seems like, the more I think about it, that the cloud works far more low level that just a remote package dump farm. ie. your V2 cant talk low level to the V3 cloud due to some language/structure barrier... if that's the case it might mean that you could get live scene feedback from the cloud from within V3...

If V3 SE can open and render your ORBX file, then ORC should be able to as well.

To be clear, you will need an ORC subscription (on top of Octane license) to access the service, even before you buy render credits for cloud workloads.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby prehabitat » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:50 am

prehabitat Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:50 am
Goldorak wrote:....delta syncing....

Now we're talking; don't resend, just tell me what's changed ;) I'm interested how you deal with the latency on interface/HID hooks.. but I feel like I remember something in either an otoy address on X.IO or something Oculus/Carmack related..

Goldorak wrote:you will need an ORC subscription (on top of Octane license) to access the service, even before you buy render credits for cloud workloads.

If I read between the lines only a little it sounds like this will allow you to charge the big guys (people with big; expensive projects) what they're happy to pay for the service level (speed) they expect while still providing the same result at a similarly palatable cost to the Indie VFX artist who is happy with the speed from his GTX 770 4gb.
prehabitat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby renderingz » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:14 am

renderingz Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:14 am
Thank for the info, interesting. So is there any way we can get involved in testing ORC on upcoming alpha/beta releases - Will this pre-release ORC be limited to standalone use only or will it work on plugins like C4D?

Any answer to this then...?
renderingz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to OctaneRender Cloud