Any news about cost of ORC

Forums: Any news about cost of ORC
Discussion forum for OctaneRender Cloud

Re: Any news about cost of ORC

Postby RobSteady » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:58 am

RobSteady Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:58 am
What cards will be available and what's the maximum number you can book?
Octane for 3ds Max v2.21.1 | i7-5930K | 32GB | 1 x GTX Titan Z + 2 x GTX 980 Ti
RobSteady
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:10 pm

Rikk The Gaijin Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:10 pm
Goldorak wrote:We are aiming to have it integrated in 2.25. There will be a monthly fee to cover transfer and storage, with a baseline number of render minutes included. Beyond that you will be able to buy more GPU minutes in buckets as you need them. We added a cost estimator that gives you a GPU time/cost estimate before you choose to launch a render job.

We have added support for passes/layers, cube map videos and light fields.

Sounds great, but it doesn't really answer my question. As far as I know, 2.25 could be months away...
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:14 pm

Goldorak Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:14 pm
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:
Goldorak wrote:We are aiming to have it integrated in 2.25. There will be a monthly fee to cover transfer and storage, with a baseline number of render minutes included. Beyond that you will be able to buy more GPU minutes in buckets as you need them. We added a cost estimator that gives you a GPU time/cost estimate before you choose to launch a render job.

We have added support for passes/layers, cube map videos and light fields.

Sounds great, but it doesn't really answer my question. As far as I know, 2.25 could be months away...

2.25 is not really much work, it is just tied to the billing being ready, same as the web site. 2.24 included all the functionality for ORC integration in SE/plug-ins. 2.25 just adds the UI to use it so you can login and connect to ORC from the app, and sync live changes with the cloud inside SE/plug-ins.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:44 am

Rikk The Gaijin Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:44 am
Goldorak wrote:2.25 is not really much work, it is just tied to the billing being ready, same as the web site. 2.24 included all the functionality for ORC integration in SE/plug-ins. 2.25 just adds the UI to use it so you can login and connect to ORC from the app, and sync live changes with the cloud inside SE/plug-ins.

LOL yet again you are avoiding my question :)

Is it gonna be release this month?

Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:21 pm

Goldorak Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:21 pm
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:
Goldorak wrote:2.25 is not really much work, it is just tied to the billing being ready, same as the web site. 2.24 included all the functionality for ORC integration in SE/plug-ins. 2.25 just adds the UI to use it so you can login and connect to ORC from the app, and sync live changes with the cloud inside SE/plug-ins.

LOL yet again you are avoiding my question :)

Is it gonna be release this month?

The new updates to ORC site are going live to a select set of licensed customers in October (if you were on the earlier ORC beta you are likely be in this group, as are customers who have contacted us about large scale usage of ORC for their company). We will do another round of testing with free render minutes to make sure there are no issues that customers run into, specifically that the cost estimator works in all corner cases (at least providing a max upper limit to the cost in every case), and that Octane live integration to ORC works as well or better than uploading an ORBX scenes on the web page.

After that, we will be ready to provide final pricing plans and open the service to all customers.

We will separately be working on an ORC widgets for packaging/compressing/building ORBX media files for the 2.0 viewer to play back on Gear VR, and shortly PC and web (ORBX.js stream).
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby RobSteady » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:33 am

RobSteady Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:33 am
What's the hardware you will provide?
Is it gonna be like 120 GTX 980Ti cards or how can we picture the whole thing?
Can you then buy additional render power?
Octane for 3ds Max v2.21.1 | i7-5930K | 32GB | 1 x GTX Titan Z + 2 x GTX 980 Ti
RobSteady
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:28 am

glimpse Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:28 am
RobSteady wrote:What's the hardware you will provide?

as far as I remember there sit card that roughly are equivalents of 670 (~40points in terms of OctaneBench) From earlier information, they mentioned that You can buy credits & work let's say with Hundred GPUs for one hour, or with let's say 50 GPUs for two hours..or with single one for 100hour (You get the point..)

my guess is that maximum power & the things will be chosen based on demand, so the service would be profitable, but as all this service sits on AWS (correct me if I'm wrong) technically they could have more GPUs that anyOne would ever need..the question whether users are willing to pay for that.
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:40 am

Goldorak Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:40 am
RobSteady wrote:What's the hardware you will provide?

It's closer to 1000's of 680s. Or even more if you are willing to pre-pay for a large bucket of minutes to cover that kind of power.

ORC is really powerful for animations and batch jobs. Imagine throwing hundreds of frames of animation on ORC and having all frames rendered simultaneously, with 1-4 GPUs assigned per frame. Even if a single frame is not rendered much faster than on your local system, you will get back all the frames in roughly the same time that the first frame takes to finish.

For thighs like 18K stereo cube maps VR videos, ORC is going to be the most efficient way to go.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:58 am

Rikk The Gaijin Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:58 am
What if a single frame of my animation takes 20+ hours to render. Will it be possible to add more power per frame?
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:59 pm

Goldorak Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:59 pm
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:What if a single frame of my animation takes 20+ hours to render. Will it be possible to add more power per frame?

It can be split over multiple GPUs on ORC, especially if res is high, and more efficiently with v3.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to OctaneRender Cloud