Rhino User Questions

Forums: Rhino User Questions
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Rhino User Questions

Postby laborda » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:32 am

laborda Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:32 am
Hi all, I just downloaded the demo and watched almost all the videos at the site.
But I have some doubts about the software:

- Is there any way to import rhino camera?
- is it possible to save a material render alpha, or transparent background?
- can you save different cameras in octane?
- Is it possible to import multiple objects and hide the once you want?

I have a gtx 460 and it works great!

Joaquín
laborda
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Rhino User Questions

Postby Refracty » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:07 am

Refracty Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:07 am
1. Yes, you can use the Rhino exporter and export the camera node individually (out of the opended Octane window).
2. Yes, in the image controls you can check / uncheck keep environment.
3. Yes, you can save/import multiple camera nodes in the Octane file (ocs).
4. You can import multiple objs but you can't merge them. Only one obj file can be shown at one time. This is probably something that will be improved during the next full releases.

Cheers
Refracty
Refracty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby laborda » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:36 pm

laborda Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:36 pm
Thanks Refracty,
It seems that it has all I need for general product design.
I'll keep playing with the demo for a while, but it looks promising!
Best,
Joaquín
laborda
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Refracty » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:01 pm

Refracty Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:01 pm
Octane is a great render for Industrial Design.
When you become a customer you will get access to the Rhino2Octane script. But try it out first.
Refracty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby riyadsouza » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:09 am

riyadsouza Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:09 am
Refracty wrote:Octane is a great render for Industrial Design.
When you become a customer you will get access to the Rhino2Octane script. But try it out first.

I also wanna try this Rhino2Octane script, I want to become a customer as soon as possible, what is the procedure ??
riyadsouza

Postby kubo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:17 pm

kubo Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:17 pm
Refracty meant to try octane's demo first. The plugins are only for licensed customers for the time being, but you can check how they work in the videos section http://www.refractivesoftware.com/videos.html, where you can watch a video of one of them running (they all work the same no matter the host app)
Testing Octane's demo with one of your scenes is the best way to see if Octane will suit your needs, when in doubt on how to export your scene from your current modeling package to Octane follow the instructions on this thread http://www.refractivesoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=362. Most of us did this and we are all happy customers ;) but is best to see it for yourself.
windows 7 x64 | 2xGTX570 (warming up the planet 1ºC at a time) | i7 920 | 12GB
kubo

Postby olek » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:14 am

olek Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:14 am
Refracty wrote:1. Yes, you can use the Rhino exporter and export the camera node individually (out of the opended Octane window).

Is this the answer to the question if you can import a camera from Rhino?
I'm a newbie and I don't quite understand how it works.
I would like to import a camera that I have in Rhino and would like to see the model exactly the same way after importing into Octane.
If it's possible how do you do it? What do you mean by Rhino exporter? When I export to .obj in Rhino i don't get any options regarding the cameras.
olek

Postby radiance » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:33 am

radiance Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:33 am
olek wrote:
Refracty wrote:1. Yes, you can use the Rhino exporter and export the camera node individually (out of the opended Octane window).

Is this the answer to the question if you can import a camera from Rhino?
I'm a newbie and I don't quite understand how it works.
I would like to import a camera that I have in Rhino and would like to see the model exactly the same way after importing into Octane.
If it's possible how do you do it? What do you mean by Rhino exporter? When I export to .obj in Rhino i don't get any options regarding the cameras.

If you buy a beta program license at 99 euro, you become a licensed customer and have access to the full forum, and all downloads, including all the export plugins for 3d packages supported,
including rhino, that export the complete scene from rhino to octane with all options, eg camera, geometry, materials, etc...

The exporters are not available to demo users for testing as we are in a beta phase currently.
The work identically for all supported 3d apps, and you can watch the worlflow with it's maya counterpart on the videos page.

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby Refracty » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:06 am

Refracty Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:06 am
Hi Olek,
like Radiance said the exporter is for licensed customers only.
But the investment of 99 € is really worth it.

The procedure is like this.
You install the exporter plug in (put it into plugin folder) then type the command "renderOctane" in Rhino and Octane will open with a meshed model and your camera (from the your selected Rhino view).
Because of Octanes node structure you can export this camera / view and reuse it if you need.
Refracty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby olek » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:59 pm

olek Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:59 pm
I get it now. Thank you!
I just plugged in the XYZ coords for now in the demo version for comparison.

I am seriously considering getting the octane but I will have to upgrade to a new computer with some more serious gfx card.
I am on a 4-year-old MacBook Pro with GeForce 8600M GT. I was surprised that I actually have a card that allows to run this thing but obviously it is relatively slow.
It seems to me that it works a little faster and more stable on the Windows side than Mac OS.

Any advice what I should go for putting together my new own desktop? Is it worth it to build a PC or a Hackintosh?
I guess a new real Mac will not do since they are using ATI Radeon.

Any suggestions what would be an optimal configuration?

(sorry, it belongs to another topic that is probably somewhere else on this forum)
olek

Next

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion