Authoring Tools - VR Comicbook

Forums: Authoring Tools - VR Comicbook
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Authoring Tools - VR Comicbook

Postby johnteddy » Fri May 29, 2015 9:50 am

johnteddy Fri May 29, 2015 9:50 am
First, the VR workflow with Octane is absolutely addicting, hadn't had so much fun with 3D work for a long time!

Now, let's say, I would want to create a graphic Novel in VR. I would need a few authoring tools:

Hotspots (click to go to next panel/ location)
Editable Text (So I dont have to render the Text together with the scene in Octane)
determined Camera rotation for each panel (so the user doesn't look down always...)
play VR video between the panels for transitions
Overall html-like workflow for building the graphic novel, something like: First panel, link to go to next panel, animation (camera flight or something) between first and second panel, and so on...

Is there some app that could already do this, or will the Orbx Player thingy be able to?
johnteddy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Authoring Tools - VR Comicbook

Postby glimpse » Fri May 29, 2015 9:53 am

glimpse Fri May 29, 2015 9:53 am
this far I think there's no solution for Your ideas yet, but OTOY devs said working on some of those =) hope we'll see them, 'cos all of Your mentioned features would be so nice to have =)

for now I'd say the closesest You can get is using spherical renders (without sterio VR) & then leverage HTML with complex stuff to partly do what You want & when OTOY is going to impliment them nativelly in .orbx, simple rerender for VR =) - in this case You can start working right now.
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Zakharum » Fri May 29, 2015 10:19 am

Zakharum Fri May 29, 2015 10:19 am
I am also waiting for something similar, we have not heared the devs about this recently but I guess they are still working on it
Zakharum

Postby ristoraven » Fri May 29, 2015 1:05 pm

ristoraven Fri May 29, 2015 1:05 pm
I would suggest that you just start making a proper script/story and start modelling, setting up the scenes and make them render ready. By the time you have all this done and set up, you just might have the tools handed over to finish it, including cloud render possibility.
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:46 am

Goldorak Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:46 am
ORBX Media player has it all. Lua scripting is powerful. You can edit scripts by hand, but we want to have script nodes in Octane pull in render targets you want in the media file; it let you author/render, and then export assets in the ORBX for playback on your device.

We've added many features in the past few weeks - multichannel 3D audio, video overlays with alpha/PM alpha, object movies, shader compositing and layers, menu and touchpad callbacks, seeking for movie files.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Leobartz » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:36 pm

Leobartz Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:36 pm
Hi Goldorak,

I have some questions about the authoring tools.
Will we be able to use those target nodes and exporte the file inside the Max plugin?
Can we build an .exe or an app like launch file to play at Gear, or we will only play it inside ORBX player?
Will it work with cubic rendering?
Could it be possible to realese these features before Octane 3, and if not, there is a realising date?

Thanks
[email protected] 6cores / 24GB Ram / 2x GTX 690
i7-5820K @3.3GHZ / 64GB Ram / 2x Titan X WC
Leobartz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion