Toon Render - outline

Forums: Toon Render - outline
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Toon Render - outline

Postby paul_mccrorey » Fri May 10, 2024 8:33 pm

paul_mccrorey Fri May 10, 2024 8:33 pm
Hey all

I am a huge fan of Octane. The only issue I have is there is no way (that I am aware of) to get decent NPR (non-Photoreal) outlines. The toon shader requires some gyrations and it just doesn't (to my knowledge) provide for an easy way to do it.

My background is in CAD - which has an outline option baked in....
Also I used MODO back in the day and it has an outstanding NPR outline module that just worked.

Finally - I don't use Blender - but the functionality of Grease Pencil appears to be outstanding.

What I am requesting is a simple toon shader that give a proper outline that can be controlled, thickend and modulated w/a texture.

Further - any other beefing up of the toon shader would be welcome.

I am noticing that RedShift on C4D just updated this function. I think we can do better! What say you @otoy?

Paul
paul_mccrorey
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Toon Render - outline

Postby linograndiotoy » Thu May 16, 2024 4:31 pm

linograndiotoy Thu May 16, 2024 4:31 pm
The Curvature node offers an effective solution for tracing edges at the moment. For external outlines, you can employ the well-known inverted-hull technique. That said, dedicated edge tracing features would indeed be a very welcome enhancement in future updates.

Here’s an animation created in Octane that illustrates these techniques in action:

https://youtu.be/LnsEujC2Qe8
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to General Discussion