Instancing animation demo using Octane Standalone

Forums: Instancing animation demo using Octane Standalone
Display your final art here...
Forum rules
Important notice: All artwork submitted on our public gallery forums gallery forums may or may not be used by OTOY for publication on our website gallery.
If you do not want us to publish your art, please mention it in your post clearly. (put a very red small diagonal cross in the top left corner of the image)
Any images already published on the gallery will be removed if the original author asks us to do so.
We recommend placing your credits on the images so you benefit from the exposure too, and use a minimum image width of 1200 pixels, and pathtracing or PMC. Thanks for your attention, The OctaneRender Team.

For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.

This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Instancing animation demo using Octane Standalone

Postby Sighman » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:35 am

Sighman Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:35 am

Just a simple demo to show that a scatter node can be animated using the octane standalone application. The scene contains a single mesh (a sphere). The animation was done using a program I wrote that updates the scatter node in the .ocs file for each frame and then launches octane to render the frame.

In case anyone is interested I have included the program source and the scene files.

balls.zip
Animation source files.
(35.56 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
Win8/64, I7-4770K (3.5Ghz) 24GB, GTX-980ti (6GB) / GTX-TITAN (6GB)
Sighman
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: Instancing animation demo using Octane Standalone

Postby smicha » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:13 am

smicha Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:13 am
That is incredible! Please post tutorial how to do it!

Fantastic work!!!
3090, Titan, Quadro, Xeon Scalable Supermicro, 768GB RAM; Sketchup Pro, Classical Architecture.
Custom alloy powder coated laser cut cases, Autodesk metal-sheet 3D modelling.
build-log http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42540
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rappet » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:37 am

rappet Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:37 am
smicha wrote:That is incredible! Please post tutorial how to do it!
Fantastic work!!!

:mrgreen: :P :mrgreen: :P :mrgreen: :P :mrgreen: :P :mrgreen: :P :mrgreen: :P love it!!!
Cannot wait to be able doing that as well. Thanx for source.
EDITED: the ocs is great to see the setup, but the software is hocus pocus to me.
Is it usable for newbees, nooboos or whatever the helpless and lost people are named with a little or lot of help. Or should I give up, because I don't even know where to start seeing the cs csproj files. Probably I am lving in a less complex world and this is over my head :roll:
Anyway, Sighman, I am very impressed ! :o
Last edited by rappet on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby matej » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:50 am

matej Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:50 am
Really nice results. But you still have to reload the .ocs for each frame. Now if we could trigger node system update with Octane open... Scripting support in Octane would come in handy for such things :)
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rappet » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:46 am

rappet Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:46 am
Sighman wrote:...
Just a simple demo to show that a scatter node can be animated using the octane standalone application. The scene contains a single mesh (a sphere). The animation was done using a program I wrote that updates the scatter node in the .ocs file for each frame and then launches octane to render the frame.

Sighman, or someone else ofcourse.... maybe you know if there is a parameter that calls the csv file?
a parameter that I can add to a line like below(I use for making an animation)
@"C:\...\octane.exe" -e -q -o "D:\....\img00001.png" --cam-pos-x 5.51 etc.... "D:\...\example.ocs"

that would make my day :mrgreen:
greetz,
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sighman » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:42 am

Sighman Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:42 am
rappet wrote:
Sighman wrote:...

Sighman, or someone else ofcourse.... maybe you know if there is a parameter that calls the csv file?
a parameter that I can add to a line like below(I use for making an animation)
@"C:\...\octane.exe" -e -q -o "D:\....\img00001.png" --cam-pos-x 5.51 etc.... "D:\...\example.ocs"

that would make my day :mrgreen:
greetz,

If there was a parameter for importing a csv file for a scatter node then I would not have needed to update the .ocs file directly ;) Remember this version of Octane is a preview and I am sure they will add a command line switch to import scatter nodes before they release.

I wrote the program in C# using Microsoft Visual Studio 2012. Noobee or not, if you don't know .NET programming then the source code will be pretty useless to you.
Win8/64, I7-4770K (3.5Ghz) 24GB, GTX-980ti (6GB) / GTX-TITAN (6GB)
Sighman
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to M is for Metaverse Gallery