OctaneRender for Modo (Windows) 1.52 [STABLE]

Forums: OctaneRender for Modo (Windows) 1.52 [STABLE]
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender for Modo Beta 1.52 [TEST]

Postby v1adut » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:45 pm

v1adut Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:45 pm
Suggestion to Paul,

Can you take the transparent color from modo material and translate it to octane transmission color when creating a specular material. ?

Thank you
v1adut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:39 am

face_off Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:39 am
Here is a suggestion for the GUI, for me it is annoing to have that control window flotating and moving and dissapearing.
I suggest to put to control bar on the bottom of the preview render window. Why button, well because when we click to see the drop down menu, they will be down in most cases and not overlaying over the preview render window.
The Modo API does not allow for a new render window like the OctaneRender Viewport - so that window is a Windows window (not a Modo window), so it's not easily possible to add those Modo buttons to the Viewport. If you would like this to happen - can you pls put in a feature request to the Modo developers to allow plugins to access Modo render Viewports.

Can you take the transparent color from modo material and translate it to octane transmission color when creating a specular material. ?
I will look into doing this.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby v1adut » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:01 pm

v1adut Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:01 pm
face_off wrote:
Here is a suggestion for the GUI, for me it is annoing to have that control window flotating and moving and dissapearing.
I suggest to put to control bar on the bottom of the preview render window. Why button, well because when we click to see the drop down menu, they will be down in most cases and not overlaying over the preview render window.
The Modo API does not allow for a new render window like the OctaneRender Viewport - so that window is a Windows window (not a Modo window), so it's not easily possible to add those Modo buttons to the Viewport. If you would like this to happen - can you pls put in a feature request to the Modo developers to allow plugins to access Modo render Viewports.

I will look into doing this.

Paul

Thank you Paul for the reply.
For the GUI can you go back with right click to activate those menu buttons on the render viewport. It was more comfortable for me, to use that method. Also How about a viewport with no buttons, and to keep all the buttons on the octane render setup window. ?

Cheers,
Vlad
v1adut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby raybender » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:19 pm

raybender Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:19 pm
We had this before. And now it feels better IMO
But i agree on right click popup of the toolbar. I liked that better too
Win7x64/ Dual Xeon [email protected]/ 48GB RAM/ 2x GTX Titan 6GB/ 1x GTX 670 4GB
http://www.alexbroeckel.com
raybender
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby v1adut » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:23 pm

v1adut Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:23 pm
raybender wrote:We had this before. And now it feels better IMO

yes I know, it was a better experience from my point of view.
v1adut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby v1adut » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:24 pm

v1adut Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:24 pm
Hi Paul, I found a bug.

When I use 2 monitors, and 1 have 1 render viewport on monitor 2, and I go back to 1 monitor, I do not see the render viewport anymore. Can you fix this by checking the display and force the window to first monitor, Is there a layout reset ?
v1adut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby cuffi » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:25 am

cuffi Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:25 am
v1adut wrote:Hi Paul, I found a bug.

When I use 2 monitors, and 1 have 1 render viewport on monitor 2, and I go back to 1 monitor, I do not see the render viewport anymore. Can you fix this by checking the display and force the window to first monitor, Is there a layout reset ?

Can't reproduce this. I see the render viewport on my second monitor even if I click in my first one. The only case in which I don't see the render viewport is if I have the Octane render setup in full screen at my second monitor for instance, the render viewport in front of it and click in the Octane Render Setup window. Then, the render viewport is hided behind it...

René
Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit | GTX780 Ti | GTX 560 TI | Driver Version 337.88 | Intel Core i7 3930K 6x 3,2 GHz | 32 GB RAM
Web: http://www.mentalarts.com
cuffi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby cuffi » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:30 am

cuffi Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:30 am
raybender wrote:We had this before. And now it feels better IMO

Yeah, I liked this better too, but Paul stated he had ran into serious problems implementing new features with this. That's why he decided to do it the new way, after he tried to implement the buttons as a button bar in the window itself and failed on the MAC if my memories are right. So I don't think he can switch back to the right klick button bar easily...

René
Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit | GTX780 Ti | GTX 560 TI | Driver Version 337.88 | Intel Core i7 3930K 6x 3,2 GHz | 32 GB RAM
Web: http://www.mentalarts.com
cuffi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby v1adut » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:18 am

v1adut Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:18 am
I understand that there will be the technical problem implementing these. But how about not making that small button window snapping on top of the render window. I rather wish not to have those buttons at all there, just in the control window, rather than having that window snapping all the time.
v1adut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:27 am

face_off Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:27 am
Regarding the Viewport buttonbar which tracks the Viewport - I have spent a huge amount of time on that bar, and I am as non-plused by it as you. However I found the rightclick popup version to be even more troublesome, because it kept overlaying the Viewport. Ideally that buttonbar would be a borderless Modo panel, however Modo only allows positioning of the window if it has the border.

In the long term, I think the buttons will be positioned on the Viewport - but there are some technical hurdles related to converting Windows button events to Modo commands that I don't want to tackle until the plugin is out of beta, and the Octane 2.0 version is done. And I'm also keen to see what Modo801 holds in store for us in this area.

In the short-term there are a few things I can do to tweak it....

1) I can add a "Show Viewport Toolbar" options in the Modo Preferences (ON by default)
2) If 1) is ticked, add a "Click Right Mouse Button to Show Viewport Toolbar" options in the Modo Preferences (OFF by default)
3) I can re-add the Viewport Toolbar buttons to the OctaneRender Setup window (where they used to be)

Would that be an improvement for you?

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Modo