OctaneRender™ Standalone 2.15

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 2.15
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 2.15 [latest 2.xx]

Postby bepeg4d » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:24 am

bepeg4d Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:24 am
Hi NZ team,
big thanks for the constant update and new features are always welcome ;)
I don't remember if i have already remarked it but, from some versions, is not possible to use the numeric value boxes in the color chooser, even the HEX value, under Os X.
About the F-stop... i surely don't miss it, but the ISO... i'm so used to use it... anyway it would be nice to have at least an EV option for easy fix the exposition with known units, as already said by miko3d.
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby abstrax » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:44 am

abstrax Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:44 am
Im not entirely sure about this change and although i can understand the move , I feel like the more we move away from the photography tools the more we loose.i would like to carry on working with stop values(1 slider is fine as long as it works in stops and not in some float values), so for example if a director comes to the office and asks to make the render 1 stop darker, we can just do that.besides, there is some usefulness, in setting up a 3d camera for a scene to mimic a real one for the shot (ISO, Fstop,response curveetc...)

Seriously? Do you really think that someone will ever tell you to set the exposure "one stop darker"? For that he/she would have to know what your F-stop setting was in the first place.

Anyway, I have written a little Lua node graph that emulates the old behaviour. You can find it here: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=43944
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby bepeg4d » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:49 pm

bepeg4d Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:49 pm
Seriously, it's not a matter of someone else that asks for it, it's my brain that is used to think in a photographic way, so having the ability to over or underexpose with known values like 1/3 of EV should be very welcome.
This is exactly what i always do with the ISO parameter.
Having also the hystogram in the camera imager should be the best... just my two cents.
Anyway thanks for the Lua script, i will test it asap ;)
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby miko3d » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:47 pm

miko3d Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:47 pm
abstrax wrote:Seriously? Do you really think that someone will ever tell you to set the exposure "one stop darker"? For that he/she would have to know what your F-stop setting was in the first place.

Hey abstrax
Its Not the first time I heard those comments from directors or supervisors,depends on their background,and they can be very fixated about this things....
But personally not an issue ,just an example :)
Thanks a lot for all your hard work.
miko3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:54 pm

FrankPooleFloating Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:54 pm
Thanks for script Marcus! Going to test it right now. But believe me, clients do actually sometimes say "one stop darker" etc. One client is a former commercial photog and another is a high-end hobbyist that owns a 5D Mark III... so these folks do talk in terms of stops sometimes... Either way, it is always nice to have options. ;)
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:57 pm

abstrax Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:57 pm
bepeg4d wrote:Seriously, it's not a matter of someone else that asks for it, it's my brain that is used to think in a photographic way, so having the ability to over or underexpose with known values like 1/3 of EV should be very welcome.
This is exactly what i always do with the ISO parameter.
Having also the hystogram in the camera imager should be the best... just my two cents.
Anyway thanks for the Lua script, i will test it asap ;)
ciao beppe

I also photograph with a DSLR (usually manual mode), but still don't see how that is important for CG. The nice thing about CG is that you don't have to constantly fighting with the limitations of the real world.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:59 pm

abstrax Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:59 pm
For those people who are used to work with real cameras: I put up a script graph that calculates field of view and aperture of the thinlens camera node from film width, focal length and f-stop. You can get it here: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=43948
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby prodviz » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:16 pm

prodviz Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:16 pm
As the f-stop didn't affect the depth of field (like a real camera), I'm all for removing this.

Ideally, all settings would react like a real camera, but as things like f-stop (in Octane) only affect the exposure, there's no real need for this, in my opinion :D .

Alternatively, if the f-stop was linked to stops and depth of field, then I'd be interested in having this as an option.
prodviz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:19 pm

abstrax Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:19 pm
prodviz wrote:As the f-stop didn't affect the depth of field (like a real camera), I'm all for removing this.

Ideally, all settings would react like a real camera, but as things like f-stop (in Octane) only affect the exposure, there's no real need for this, in my opinion :D .

Alternatively, if the f-stop was linked to stops and depth of field, then I'd be interested in having this as an option.

See here: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=43948
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby prodviz » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:25 pm

prodviz Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:25 pm
abstrax wrote:
prodviz wrote:As the f-stop didn't affect the depth of field (like a real camera), I'm all for removing this.

See here: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=43948

Cool, cheers.
Hope to have something similar in the Maya plugin too.
prodviz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases