OctaneRender™ Standalone 1.31

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 1.31
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

OctaneRender™ Standalone 1.31

Postby abstrax » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:56 am

abstrax Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:56 am
Hi All,

This is a quick-fix release to patch a few holes of 1.30 (especially in the API).

Changes since version 1.30

Rendering

• Fixed animation render script to work correctly with the latest Lua changes.
  • Increased the maximum render resolution to 32768x32768 pixels. Please be aware that you can't render the maximum resolution with current hardware since the film buffer wouldn't fit into VRAM. In case you just want to increase the image resolution in one direction, the film buffer should fit, but you may have to switch to the software viewport since OpenGL may not be able to display such large images.

Scene and Geometry I/O

• Fixed creation of object layer pins of a scene node graph when loaded from Alembic files.

Lua Scripting

• Added octane.render.setSubSampleMode() and octane.render.getSubSampleMode() to set/get the current sub-sampling mode.
  • Added octane.render.setClayMode() and octane.render.getClayMode() to set/get the current clay mode.

Download:

Windows
ZIP archives:
- 64-bit
- 32-bit

MacOS X
ZIP archive:
- 32-bit and 64-bit

Linux
ZIP archive:
- 64-bit

Happy rendering,
Your OTOY NZ Team
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 1.31

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:58 am

Rikk The Gaijin Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:58 am
I tried for the first time to export a camera from Maya in alembic format, and I can see the blue circle representing the camera node in Octane, but the camera settings are completely wrong compared to the ones I have in Maya... Am I missing something? :?

Btw, version 1.31 looses the material information of Alembic... Works fine in previous versions.
Last edited by Rikk The Gaijin on Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:06 am

bepeg4d Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:06 am
hi marcus,
thanks for the quick fix :)
@rikk: probably a scale issue, click the preference button of the alembic node a set the scale to centimeters ;)
at least, this is what i do in c4d ;)
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:10 am

Rikk The Gaijin Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:10 am
bepeg4d wrote:hi marcus,
thanks for the quick fix :)
@rikk: probably a scale issue, click the preference button of the alembic node a set the scale to centimeters ;)
at least, this is what i do in c4d ;)
ciao beppe

Beppe, thx but it's not a scale issue, the position in space is wrong, as well as fov, etc...
Is there anyone that can explain me how to export a camera from Maya?
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:31 am

Rikk The Gaijin Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:31 am
This is what I export from Maya

And this is what comes in Octane (after I manually set the Alembic scale to centimeters)

Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby smicha » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:52 am

smicha Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:52 am
32k x 32k is about 1 gigapixel image :o

I hardly can keep up with updates :)

Thank you Guys.
3090, Titan, Quadro, Xeon Scalable Supermicro, 768GB RAM; Sketchup Pro, Classical Architecture.
Custom alloy powder coated laser cut cases, Autodesk metal-sheet 3D modelling.
build-log http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42540
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby smicha » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:17 am

smicha Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:17 am
abstrax wrote:Please be aware that you can't render the maximum resolution with current hardware since the film buffer wouldn't fit into VRAM. In case you just want to increase the image resolution in one direction, the film buffer should fit, but you may have to switch to the software viewport since OpenGL may not be able to display such large images.[/color][/b][/list]

Marcus,

I tried to increase a very simple scene resolution. What I managed to achieve was something about 16000 x 600 (Titan). Then a blank gray screen appears and I cannot display a model in the preview window anymore and I must close Octane. See the screenshot. Is this OpenGL limitation or should it work under such resolutions?
Attachments
131.jpg
3090, Titan, Quadro, Xeon Scalable Supermicro, 768GB RAM; Sketchup Pro, Classical Architecture.
Custom alloy powder coated laser cut cases, Autodesk metal-sheet 3D modelling.
build-log http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42540
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:29 am

Rikk The Gaijin Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:29 am
I also have another problem (it seems Alembic support is completely screwed) :?

maya_material.jpg

octane_material.jpg
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:41 am

abstrax Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:41 am
smicha wrote:
abstrax wrote:Please be aware that you can't render the maximum resolution with current hardware since the film buffer wouldn't fit into VRAM. In case you just want to increase the image resolution in one direction, the film buffer should fit, but you may have to switch to the software viewport since OpenGL may not be able to display such large images.[/color][/b][/list]

Marcus,

I tried to increase a very simple scene resolution. What I managed to achieve was something about 16000 x 600 (Titan). Then a blank gray screen appears and I cannot display a model in the preview window anymore and I must close Octane. See the screenshot. Is this OpenGL limitation or should it work under such resolutions?

That's the OpenGL limitation I mentioned. You can get around it using the software viewport (File -> Preferences -> Application -> Viewport).
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:43 am

abstrax Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:43 am
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:I also have another problem (it seems Alembic support is completely screwed) :?

maya_material.jpg

octane_material.jpg

Could you post an example file and a screenshot how it appeared in previous versions and in 1.31? Thanks.
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Next

Return to Development Build Releases