selling my octane licence

Forums: selling my octane licence
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

selling my octane licence

Postby pavel » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:47 am

pavel Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:47 am
Hey, i own Octane standalone + C4D plugin 2.x and i am not using it anymore for more than 8 months, so i would like to sell it to someone who needs it, if possible. Can be sold separately also.

Cheers,
Alex
i7 4770k, GTX780, 16gb ddr
pavel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: selling my octane licence

Postby bepeg4d » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:34 pm

bepeg4d Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:34 pm
hi pavel,
unfortunately, the Octane Render licence does not allow you to sell or transfer your licence, since is related with your personal data.
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby PolderAnimation » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:36 pm

PolderAnimation Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:36 pm
If you live in Europe, you can sell your license no matter what Octane or Otoy says, it is in the European law that you may sell your software.
Win 10 64bit | RTX 3090 | i9 7960X | 64GB
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pavel » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:48 am

pavel Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:48 am
Yes, I live in Europe. Thanks for the info!
i7 4770k, GTX780, 16gb ddr
pavel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby win » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:26 pm

win Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:26 pm
You have an agreement under New Zealand law.
The terms of your agreement are very clear. You may not sell your license. You may not transfer your license.
It does not matter where you live, the agreement is under New Zealand law.
win
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby prodviz » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:29 pm

prodviz Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:29 pm
Out of interest, what's the big deal with selling or transferring a license?

I've sold other software before and switched the personal data without issue.
prodviz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:15 pm

Goldorak Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:15 pm
prodviz wrote:Out of interest, what's the big deal with selling or transferring a license?

I've sold other software before and switched the personal data without issue.

When you purchase Octane and receive a unique licence key to activate it, there is an EULA which limits on how the software can be re-used, for example: not creating a render farm service, not splitting/sharing your licence to outside users. There are unfortunately many ways in which reselling licences can be (and have been) abused, including scalping Octane licenses during a promotion period, continuously 'reselling' Octane licences between different parties in different time zones and splitting the cost. etc.

There are 3rd parties authorized to sell Octane licences on our behalf, and this is because they have a re-seller agreement with OTOY that ensures new users are signed up properly under the EULA.

We've done our very best to give users a very good sense of how the software works before they buy it, first with the demo versions, and now through Octane VR. If you want to use Octane licences for a period of time and not commit to the full price, there will be options for that as well down the line.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby prodviz » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:36 pm

prodviz Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:36 pm
Thanks for the response.

I have no issue myself, and am very happy with Octane.

But for those who are not happy and want to sell a license, I'm still not entirely sure why and End-User License Agreement and key can't be checked back in to HQ and then checked out, with new key and new EULA. That way you would know exactly what and who has a license and track any inconsistencies.

But I'm sure there's more to it than that.

Cheers.
prodviz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:58 pm

Goldorak Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:58 pm
prodviz wrote:Thanks for the response.

I have no issue myself, and am very happy with Octane.

But for those who are not happy and want to sell a license, I'm still not entirely sure why and End-User License Agreement and key can't be checked back in to HQ and then checked out, with new key and new EULA. That way you would know exactly what and who has a license and track any inconsistencies.

But I'm sure there's more to it than that.

Cheers.

In this case, you'd be basically getting a refund for your licence key. The issue you encounter through refunds is that there are those who would abuse this by using Octane for a certain period of time, then ask for a refund, then repeat this with a new account and essentially keep using the software for free.

If we were to offer a subscription licence, it would likely cover this type of situation more cleanly, as then you are only paying for the time you use Octane, and the overhead of supporting users for a specific duration would be accounted for.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby PolderAnimation » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:47 am

PolderAnimation Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:47 am
win wrote:You have an agreement under New Zealand law.
The terms of your agreement are very clear. You may not sell your license. You may not transfer your license.
It does not matter where you live, the agreement is under New Zealand law.

Even then, your selling things in Europe so you have to stick to the agreements there. So you have to make a choice, not sell in Europe or changing your agreements.
The Foundry is doing the same, but if you want, you can still sell your license. They just make it very hard so most people wont go though the hassle (not very nice tactic, but it works).
Win 10 64bit | RTX 3090 | i9 7960X | 64GB
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion